I prayed about what to get Travis for Father's Day this year. I wanted something that would bless him, not just another "thing." God answered my prayers through my children. I asked them what THEY wanted to do with Daddy for Father's Day and they said they wanted to go camping! That settled it.
The kids and I went to Wal Mart without Travis to pick his gifts. I allowed the kids to pick a tent. They chose the one that looked the most fun, of course. The tent they chose had a large dome tent in the middle with two smaller dome tents on both sides of the center tent that can connect by zipping tunnels between the tents. Each one also got Travis their own smaller, personal gift. The boys chose lanterns (Dawson insisted on the same gift Justis chose), and Madalynn chose a combination fan/light that magnetically stuck to the very top of the tent for Daddy's comfort. :)
So, on Saturday the 16th we gave Travis his presents. He was thrilled. We then stuffed our minivan full and headed to Percy Quinn state park near McComb, Mississippi. Percy Quinn is about 45 minutes north of our house.
We got to Percy Quinn near supper time, so we arrived and set up our new tent, then Travis started a fire. I had to go find the nearest Wal Mart. I had packed the family and had forgotten probably one of the most essential things; Jillian's formula and bottles. Thankfully McComb had a Wal Mart.
We cooked supper when I got back and put Jillian in her porta-crib in the tent for the night. We left the door open so she could see us, and she played until she couldn't play anymore and fell asleep. S'mores were then cooked and the kids (especially Justis) were ready to check in for the night.
We all climbed in our respective tents. Madalynn, Justis and Dawson slept together in one of the side tents and Jillian, Travis and I all slept in the middle tent. All of the sudden Madalynn and Justis started talking. "DAAAAAD....There's a daddy long-legs in here!" Travis was already snoozing and told them to go to sleep and that they were just imagining thngs. They insisted he check, so he ended up getting out of the tent and going over to check for the daddy long-legs about three times before he convinced them there was no spider. We then fell asleep. Oh, and I have to say THANK GOD for the fan Madalynn bought Travis. There is no wind and much humidity here, so it made our sleep-out more bearable.
We woke in the morning to Maddie, Justis and Dawson having a spirited conversation about the daddy long-legs again. Before too long, "DAAAAAAAAAD!!!!" and a bunch of rustling came from the tent. "There's a daddy long-legs on the tent!" Maddie screamed. I'm sure it was about 6:30 a.m., and we were waking up the whole campground! Travis again went over repeatedly (losing patience) and, lo and behold...there he was. The daddy long-legs wanted to celebrate Father's Day with our children, too! The kids decided our tent was safer, so they all got up and came into the big tent with us.
We cooked breakfast, took in the BEAUTIFUL scenery, the kids and Travis swam in the lake and we finally went home exhuasted. Travis and I both agree it was a Father's Day we will never forget!
The kids and I went to Wal Mart without Travis to pick his gifts. I allowed the kids to pick a tent. They chose the one that looked the most fun, of course. The tent they chose had a large dome tent in the middle with two smaller dome tents on both sides of the center tent that can connect by zipping tunnels between the tents. Each one also got Travis their own smaller, personal gift. The boys chose lanterns (Dawson insisted on the same gift Justis chose), and Madalynn chose a combination fan/light that magnetically stuck to the very top of the tent for Daddy's comfort. :)
So, on Saturday the 16th we gave Travis his presents. He was thrilled. We then stuffed our minivan full and headed to Percy Quinn state park near McComb, Mississippi. Percy Quinn is about 45 minutes north of our house.
We got to Percy Quinn near supper time, so we arrived and set up our new tent, then Travis started a fire. I had to go find the nearest Wal Mart. I had packed the family and had forgotten probably one of the most essential things; Jillian's formula and bottles. Thankfully McComb had a Wal Mart.
We cooked supper when I got back and put Jillian in her porta-crib in the tent for the night. We left the door open so she could see us, and she played until she couldn't play anymore and fell asleep. S'mores were then cooked and the kids (especially Justis) were ready to check in for the night.
We all climbed in our respective tents. Madalynn, Justis and Dawson slept together in one of the side tents and Jillian, Travis and I all slept in the middle tent. All of the sudden Madalynn and Justis started talking. "DAAAAAD....There's a daddy long-legs in here!" Travis was already snoozing and told them to go to sleep and that they were just imagining thngs. They insisted he check, so he ended up getting out of the tent and going over to check for the daddy long-legs about three times before he convinced them there was no spider. We then fell asleep. Oh, and I have to say THANK GOD for the fan Madalynn bought Travis. There is no wind and much humidity here, so it made our sleep-out more bearable.
We woke in the morning to Maddie, Justis and Dawson having a spirited conversation about the daddy long-legs again. Before too long, "DAAAAAAAAAD!!!!" and a bunch of rustling came from the tent. "There's a daddy long-legs on the tent!" Maddie screamed. I'm sure it was about 6:30 a.m., and we were waking up the whole campground! Travis again went over repeatedly (losing patience) and, lo and behold...there he was. The daddy long-legs wanted to celebrate Father's Day with our children, too! The kids decided our tent was safer, so they all got up and came into the big tent with us.
We cooked breakfast, took in the BEAUTIFUL scenery, the kids and Travis swam in the lake and we finally went home exhuasted. Travis and I both agree it was a Father's Day we will never forget!
No comments:
Post a Comment