
Many people have asked us what our new house is like, so I think I'll take today to take you on a written "tour" of our new home. I'll put on some pictures of the inside and backyard when I'm finished decorating. :)
We live in rural Ponchatoula, Louisiana. We are about three miles from Poncahtoula, and only about six miles from Hammond, Louisiana. Living in the "country" here is a little different from living in the country in Kansas. We live three miles from town, but we have at least seven houses on our street that is about 3/4 of a mile long, and there is a house on almost every acre from here to town. The natives consider this the country. We don't necessarily feel like we live in the country, but it's peaceful, nonetheless.
Our big yard is probably our favorite part of our new home. We live on .87 acres, which is very similar in size to the beautiful, big yard we enjoyed at our home in Hutchinson. We have lots of different kinds of trees, including a sweet gum, which is one of my favorites. When you pick a leaf from a sweet gum and squish it up in your hand, your hand will smell like peppermint gum. We moved the kids' swingset that Santa gave them for Christmas and they are really enjoying it here. A long concrete drive (which would be directly to the left of the photographer in the above picture), goes around to the back of our house to a two-car carport. This long drive is a dream-come-true for our children and they enjoy riding their bikes and tricycles up and down that drive. The backyard is totally fenced in (we have to drive through a double gate to get to our carport), which makes a nice play place for my children and our dogs.
Our home is also nice and has a smart layout. We have four bedrooms, three of which we use as bedrooms and are located on the right side of the house. We use the fourth room as a playroom/computer room/guest room and it is located on the opposite side of the house. We have a nice master bathroom, which I really like, and another full bathroom for the kids. The dining/kitchen/living space is right in the middle and back of the house. The three rooms are visually separated by a bar/island that divides the kitchen and living room and creates a "boundary" for the dining area. I like the way the main area works, because I like experiencing my family while cooking meals. I can wash my dishes while watching my kids in the living room! A sitting room is at the front of the house by the foyer, where we keep our piano, my sewing machine and bookshelves. I have a laundry room with plenty of room for storage, too. Windows are also plentiful, and we can look out and see what our kids or doing or enjoy seeing the beautiful outdoors. We do, thankfully, have an attic. People don't have basements here, period, because the water table is too high. We have a pull-down ladder leading up to the attic for easy access.
That's our home. I do want to say, we have learned an important thing by owning five houses. The family memories made in a house is what makes it a home, not the physical structure itself. Sure, we make practical decisions about making sure we have enough square feet for practical needs and we decide whether we want to take the time on a fixer-upper or not. In the end, a house is a house. We are thankful for every house God has allowed us to enjoy, but we're even more thankful for being together as a family.
No comments:
Post a Comment