
I thought I'd give everyone a better geographical idea of where we are living.
Ponchatoula is in Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana. Tangipahoa Parish is like a county. For example, we lived in Hugoton, which is in Stevens County, Kansas. Now we live in Ponchatoula, which is in Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana.
Ponchatoula is about 40 minutes to the east of Baton Rouge, 40 minutes to the northwest of New Orleans, and about 1 hour west of Biloxi, Mississippi. To get to Ponchatoula from New Orleans, Travis takes Interstate 55, that goes between Lake Maurepas and Lake Ponchatrain. I-55 between here and New Orleans is all "on stilts," because it goes over swamp land and lakes. That's about 30 miles of what we consider a bridge!
Our home is about three miles southwest of Ponchatoula. Our neighborhood literally butts up against wetlands to the south. Ponchatoula Creek (I think that's it's name) is about 1/4 mile from our backyard and feeds into Lake Maurepas. We sometimes see jet-skiers passing under the bridge as we drive over the creek (which is the size of a Kansas "river") and there's a house boat that usually stays parked near a home that borders the creek. We saw an alligator floating on top of the water sunning himself one day, too!
No comments:
Post a Comment