School is officially in session for Madalynn, Justis and Dawson. Today was their first day of homeschool. I am so happy to be able to teach my children and watch them learn. Both Madalynn and Justis have told me they are glad I am homeschooling them because they like spending time with me, which makes me feel loved, too!
I thought it would be fun this first week of school for you all to share your fondest school story with the kids. The way you can do that is by posting your story as a comment on the blog. Everyone can read each other's story, and I will print and share your stories with the kids as well. I'll start!
I have so many fond memories of school. Each of my parents were fantastic middle school teachers for years, too. They are now retired. I KNOW they have lots of stories!
Winning a jar full of candy corns is one of my memories from elementary school. The whole school had a contest to see who could guess the number of candy corns in a big Kerr jar. My mom always dropped me off at the school lunchroom a little earlier than the other kids in the morning, because she and dad had to be at their school early. I took advantage of that time and used my newly acquired geometry skills to figure the number of candy corns in the jar. I figured the volume of the jar (length x width x height) and wrote that answer on a card with my name on it and stuck it in the answer box. Those of you who know me know I'm not a pro at math, so imagine my surprise when the principal came across the intercom the day before the start of Thanksgiving break to announce I had won the candy corn guessing contest. I ended up only being off the actual number of candy corns in the jar by three! I got to tote the huge jar of candy corns home. I think they were on the shelf in my closet for about two years before they were all gone. I went on to be very good at geometry, but I still stink in algebra!
Please share your favorite story(ies) with us!
5 comments:
Well, I have one...and I'll make is short!
I was in 8th grade and in a very small school at the time. I think there were only 8 kids in my 8th grade class. And this school decided that EVERY grade had to be picked up by their parents in the classroom, so that no kids got hurt out in the parking lot. It was a k-8 school. Well, Mr. Warning was our teacher and a bit on the uncaring side and had told the class that if he heard another word from us as we were waiting for our parents we were going to get a detention. Well there was another girl leaving the room since her mom had arrived and I said, "bye Jenny" not even thinking that that was talking. And truely that is ALL I said. Well, Mr. Warning became unglued and I was marched down to the principals office and given a detention! He said I purposely disobeyed him and that his authority was not going to be abused!! That is the only one I ever got...I didn't think it was fair! But I did, I guess, "talk". And needless to say I sat in the principals office for 1 hour during lunch and my mom had to come and get me from there after school that day too. You all know that I was that kind of trouble maker...I still am. :)
Moral of the story..."THINK BEFORE YOU TALK!"
We only went to that school for a year. Oh and memories!
:)
Gi
PS Maddie and Justis you will love being taught by your mommy. Just remember she will push you to do your very best. And you need to remember to try your very best!
My favorite memory of school was when I was a freshman in high school. Mrs. Currier, my English teacher asked the class to write an in-class essay relating the play Death of A Salesman to the concept of the American Dream. The next day, Mrs. Currier told the class that overall she was very disappointed with the essays, except for one. She had typed up my essay to ensure my anonymity, and handed it out to everyone in the class as an example of what she had been looking for. I was so proud! Everyone suspected I had written it anyway, because any time a paper was assigned about half the class asked me to proofread their papers. I always proofread your dad, Travis' papers, too. One time he called me up at 7am while we were up a K-State and asked if he could come over so I could proofread his paper that was due later that morning. Try not to procrastinate when it comes to doing your homework like your dad did. Becca
One of my favorite memories from elementary school. When I was in 3rd grade, I had a teacher named Mr. Ray. He was my very 1st teacher that was a man. I was scared of him the 1st day, but I soon came to love him very much. One of my favorite things about his class was earning smiley faces for every paper you turned in that was neat. I worked very hard to have neat writing. Before Christmas rolled around, I was able to turn in all my smiley faces for a giant candy cane. It was at least a foot long! It was a great prize!
I have a lot of fond memories, and many people will say that I hopefully gave them some memories as well. However, I will not boast of academic acomplishments but of those moments that stick with you!
I was in the 6th grade in Mr. Geaslands class (history. I asked to use the restroom knowing full well that I did not need to go, but I had an idea as I supplied the class with laughter on many occasions. After "using the restroom" I made the grand entry back into the class room. I slammed open the door so that everyone noticed me and started singing "I Feel Good" at the top of my lungs. The class erupted in laughter instantly, and the teacher quickly escorted me out of the class to a familiar place that I spent a lot of time at - the hallway!
It is always good to have a good time while learning, but be sure and treat your teacher (mommy) with respect. This is for you Justis!
(My mom, Marsha, e-mailed me this comment to post)
I have lots of memories from school days, some good and some not so good. The embarrasing things are always what jump to mind first, but that's not what I'll start with. My favorite teacher was Mrs. VanFossen. She was my 5th grade teacher and our class was only about 16 kids with more boys than girls.
One day we had an idea about buying
a gift for Mrs. VanFossen, so we girls each brought some change from home and pooled it together for a gift. After school some of us went to the local soda fountain/drug store (a whole block away from school and right on the way home) to see what we could afford.
I don't remember what the gift was, but Mrs. VanFossen made such a fuss about it that the next day the boys came with a present for her. It turned into quite a competition to see who could bring her the neatest gift.
The one I really remember was a crystal dish (probably plastic) but the next day she brought it back to school full of cookies. Wow, she really loved us and we loved her! I don't remember anything special that we learned in school that year, but Mrs. VanFossen made us feel
special. I hope you think your teacher (mom) is special too. Have fun in school.
Love, Grandma Chadd
Post a Comment