Tuesday, October 9, 2007

"I neeb my mom."

Writing is Madalynn's new avenue of expressing herself. Reading the stories, sentences and notes she writes me is a thrill for two reasons. I am excited to see her growing in her reading, writing and thinking skills. Her notes to me are always heartfelt and encouraging, too, no matter how hard they sometimes are to decode.

I instructed her to do her math worksheet in the homeschool room where it was quiet while I kept Jillian and the boys busy in the play room this afternoon. She needed to do the first part of the worksheet herself, then have me check it. I noticed she would need my help reading the last two story problems with her, so I told her to come get me when she got to that point. She brought the workbook to me and said, "I'm ready for your help." I looked down to start reading her story problem and saw, "I neeb my mom" written on the bottom of the worksheet. Apparently she had made a note to herself so she would not forget to come ask for my help with the story problems.

I also received a note from Madalynn that I will keep in her school memory book for sure. Wednesday of the first week of school I went to our school room to prepare for the day and found a note that said the following on my desk:

"Jae theak u for been mi teethr. Frum Madalynn"

The fact that she used her then-limited spelling skills to pen the note was an expression of love in itself!

So, Madalynn, "Theak u for been mi daugther. Frum Mom."

No comments: