
gaudy (gô′dē):
adjective
bright and showy, but lacking in good taste; cheaply brilliant and ornate
This blog won't make sense to you unless you are familiar with the little town of Mullinville, Kansas, the town where my Grandma and Grandpa Rader live. Read the above blog first for explanation.
The kids and I took a drive this afternoon to rush deliver our registration for next semester's home school co-op. Our 40-mile drive up to Folsum, LA, where the head of co-op lives, was beautiful. I drove on small, winding highways most of the way there, and the kids enjoyed the scenery just as much as I did.
Coming around a curve near our destination, I saw a yard FULL of something. I couldn't quite tell what, because I was still about 1/2 mile away, at least. I slowed down a bit when we passed, to gawk.
A yard was chock full of every tacky Christmas and Thanksgiving yard ornament money could buy!
I chuckled, "Wow. Did you see that, Madalynn?" I said, knowing she's always an eager ear when I want to gab.
"Yeah. It was kind of....kind of... Well, it was kind of pretty maybe?"
I said, "Well, someone thinks it's pretty, but it's kind of gaudy."
"Gaudy? What does that mean, Mom?"
"Well, it's kind of like when something is too flashy or too much. You know, like if you have too many pretty things in one spot, or if you arrange decorations unattractively. You can make pretty things look gaudy by having too many of them. Usually a few pretty things in one place look better than a lots of them all in one place."
"Ohhhhh. You mean like, you know, the town where Great-Grandma and Grandpa Rader live? Where all of those signs are?"
She nailed it on the head. "THAT'S gaudy, Madalynn."
adjective
bright and showy, but lacking in good taste; cheaply brilliant and ornate
This blog won't make sense to you unless you are familiar with the little town of Mullinville, Kansas, the town where my Grandma and Grandpa Rader live. Read the above blog first for explanation.
The kids and I took a drive this afternoon to rush deliver our registration for next semester's home school co-op. Our 40-mile drive up to Folsum, LA, where the head of co-op lives, was beautiful. I drove on small, winding highways most of the way there, and the kids enjoyed the scenery just as much as I did.
Coming around a curve near our destination, I saw a yard FULL of something. I couldn't quite tell what, because I was still about 1/2 mile away, at least. I slowed down a bit when we passed, to gawk.
A yard was chock full of every tacky Christmas and Thanksgiving yard ornament money could buy!
I chuckled, "Wow. Did you see that, Madalynn?" I said, knowing she's always an eager ear when I want to gab.
"Yeah. It was kind of....kind of... Well, it was kind of pretty maybe?"
I said, "Well, someone thinks it's pretty, but it's kind of gaudy."
"Gaudy? What does that mean, Mom?"
"Well, it's kind of like when something is too flashy or too much. You know, like if you have too many pretty things in one spot, or if you arrange decorations unattractively. You can make pretty things look gaudy by having too many of them. Usually a few pretty things in one place look better than a lots of them all in one place."
"Ohhhhh. You mean like, you know, the town where Great-Grandma and Grandpa Rader live? Where all of those signs are?"
She nailed it on the head. "THAT'S gaudy, Madalynn."
No comments:
Post a Comment