Monday, March 10, 2008

Backyard Campout in FEBRUARY!






I would have laughed at the thought of camping out in February when I lived in Kansas. February, after all, is quite possibly the coldest month of the year in Kansas! That's why I never dreamed we would set up the tent in the backyard for a February 17 camp out.

Travis told me of his intentions to camp out with the kids. I said, "Have fun. Jillian and I will sleep inside, where it's warm!" I offered my support with setting up the tent and providing the ingredients for s'mores.

Sleeping bags ready, the kids and Travis went out to camp. I spent some time sitting with them while they cooked s'mores and shared stories. Giving kisses to all of them, I turned around to check into my warm cozy bed, wondering when they would get too cold and come in.

Travis, Madalynn, Justis and Dawson have resolve and warm bodies, apparently. Although the daytime temperature was in the high seventies before dark, the temperature got down to 43 degrees that night. Brrrr!

They came in early the next morning with red noses and smiles on their faces! Turns out they ended up sleeping two to a sleeping bag and invited Dixie (our chocolate lab) in to keep their feet warm.

The next night those crazy kids were asking to camp out in the backyard again! We somehow convinced them to wait until the weather was a little warmer!

No comments: