Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Bye, Bye, Binkie


Jillian is officially a "big girl" now. She's weaned from the binkie. Praise the Lord (on behalf of all of us)!

Jillian, our little firecracker, screamed most of the first seven months of her life. She found comfort in using a binkie to pacify herself (from what, we still don't know), and the rest of us felt sane when she was comforted. I swore I would never have a child whom used a binkie. Can I just say one thing here.

Motherhood has truly humbled me. Everything I said I would "NEVER do with my child," I've done or has happened. I would see a child with a binkie stuffed in his/her mouth and think, "Tisk, tisk. Shame on that parent for allowing the binkie. They don't need a binkie. They need to learn to go to sleep without relying on something." Well, Madalynn, Dawson and Justis never needed a binkie, so I thought my "judgement" was correct. NOT! Jillian came and I have never passed judgement because of binkies or other parenting choices since. I pray for God's for every parent, because I've been there and that's what God has given me...grace!

Back to Jillian. I will say God had his hand in the miracle of her giving the binkie up. I didn't know how or what to do to put the binkie behind us, so when I went looking for a binkie for Jillian's nap one day and came up empty handed, I just said, "Jillian, the binkies are all gone (I made the sign language for gone). They are all lost and we don't have any more. You're a big girl and you don't need a binkie anymore. Do you want to hold your dolly and read a book?" I gave her a doll and book, kissed her, and left the room. She cried for a minute and fell asleep. She asked for the binkie three more nap/bedtimes, and I responded the same way each time, telling her they were all gone. She accepted that (she had to) without fuss and JOYFULLY (that's the miracle) went to sleep on her own!

A week after the binkie was a distant memory to her, I found a binkie cleaning. She saw it and motioned that she wanted it. I gave it to her, she put it in her mouth, she then took it out and laughed like it was silly. "No." She said, giving it back. I went and threw it away and that was that!

Who would've thought it would be that easy. Just the right timing too! She has a mouthful of teeth that have just come in the last few weeks!

No comments: