



Waterslides. Who doesn't love them? Jillian. Why? Because of me.
The waterslide at the Living Water Ranch in Kansas was the highlight of the family reunion for the kids, Travis and I.
The waterslide at the ranch is "fueled" by a natural spring. The spring water is a BRISK 57 degrees all year round! The slide is lined with old swimming pool liners. One look at the slide makes one think it's kind of a slow go. NOT SO!
Travis was the first to go down. He went by himself and then took Justis on his lap. Madalynn and I finally got brave enough to sit down in the cold water and give it a go. Madalynn went with Travis, then Jillian, as I stood at the bottom taking pictures. The absolute shock of hitting the 57 degree pool of water was hilarious to watch and capture on camera. I love the two of Jillian going down with Travis the first time.
Then came Jillian's second time. I decided to take Jillian on my lap, and it was also my first trip down the slide.
I haven't been on a waterslide for over 10 years, although I absolutely LOVE them. I was like a watersliding pro at our annual church camp at Horn Creek in Colorado! I went headfirst on my back and stomach. I turned around. We would go down in three-at-a-time pyramids, and I was always the one crazy enough to ride on top. My sister and I also so looked forward to our waterslide day in Manitou, Colorado on our annual family trips. I got a lot of bruises, and even a piece of fiberglass stuck in my toe from waterslides. The fun I had sliding made the injuries worth it!
Did I mention I was at least 50 lbs. lighter last time I went down a waterslide? One "little" detail I forgot to factor in before taking my precious baby down the slide.
Jillian and I gasped as we sat down in the cold water. Jillian gave a nervous smile and laugh, and I pushed off for a good start. I didn't need ANY extra momentum.
Everything next happened so fast, I was in response mode. Before I could blink my eyes we were rounding the BIG curve going WAY TO FAST. I laid down and cupped my shoulders and arms around Jillian's head and body so she wouldn't fly off the slide or hit her head. Jillian was screaming, I was screaming, and before I knew it we were over our heads in FREEZING COLD WATER at the bottom pool of the slide.
Jillian surfaced screaming. I surfaced screaming. I don't know if Jillian was screaming because of complete fear or because the water was so cold (probably both). I was screaming because the stinkin' water was so cold! I would describe the water as hypothermic.
Jillian just kept saying, "No, mommy, NO!" as we got out of the water. She wanted nothing more to do with the slide.
Madalynn, Justis and finally Dawson all loved it so much, they were going down by themselves the second day. I kept going down on my own over the two days. Travis banned me from taking the kids down after I scared Dawson with a fast ride, as well. Who am I kidding? I scared myself!
1 comment:
:D I got a great laugh out of this adventure in your life! Wish I could have been there to see it!
Miss you guys and love ya!
Julie
Post a Comment