




We went on an eventful swamp walk at Tickfaw State Park last Saturday. There are so many things that are new to us here, and every time we take a walk anywhere we learn something new.
The trails at this park are on stilts, because it's natural for the park to flood during high spring and winter rains, and because the ground is almost always wet, anyway. There are trail number markers along the way, along with the occasional sign that has a picture and explains a certain vegetation, insect or animal.
The first thing we spotted on our walk was this dragonfly. The dragonfly's wings looked like little square wings at first glance, but when we looked closer parts of it's wings were translucent. It blended in with the surroundings so well, we had a hard time keeping our eye on it, but then it landed on the boardwalk rail so I could snap a picture.
The hollow tree was interesting. You can't see it, but although the tree is completely hollow, it is still growing and has a green canopy that shoots up from one growth coming from the top of the hollowed-out trunk.
The next guys (or guy and gal) we stumbled upon were these walking sticks. I almost missed them, but caught them out of the corner of my eye as I was walking by them. I didn't stop walking, because they scared me! I moved far enough away to where I could turn around and see them safely! :) I had never seen anything like it. They're called walking sticks and they are found in warm temperate climates. Obviously their name comes from what they look like, a stick! Two were mating at first and Travis spoiled their party so we could get a better look and separated them. The kids were fascinated. Justis was also a little creeped out.
Lastly, one of the neighborly lizards came out to spy on us. Lizards are all over the place here. This one is the most common color we see, but there are all kinds.
We had a great walk. We left as the thunder was starting to rumble, signaling the common afternoon rain. We had just enough time to go play in the water park before it began to pour!
1 comment:
Jae...you have never seen a walking stick??? :) the lizards here are called skinks...are yours really lizards?? Your park sounds like a fantastic place!
Love ya, Gi
Post a Comment