




Our new favorite place to play on the weekends is Louisiana's Tickfaw State Park, located only about 10 miles from our house! We went for the second time last Saturday after we finished morning yard work.
The park is beautiful, and it only costs $1 for each of us to get in. Louisiana state parks are much different than the ones I've visited in Kansas and Colorado. You can choose to come for just the day and picnic, walk the trails and visit the water park (yes, I said water park!). You can choose to bring a tent and go canoeing (boats provided), if you feel like roughing it. You can bring your RV if you don't feel like sleeping on the ground. You can also rent a cabin if you really feel like splurging (but still pay less than a hotel room). They also have dorm-like facilities that organizations or families can rent for special events. I haven't been in one of the cabins, but they look first-class from the outside!
The kids love Tickfaw. They did not stop asking to go back after our first visit and they made us promise we would be going back when we left this last time.
Last Saturday we took some sausages to grill for a lunch picnic, walked a trail we hadn't walked yet and then the kids and I played in the water. Believe me, the water is very refreshing after picnicking and hiking in the sultry, hot Louisiana swamp!
And the name Tickfaw...does anyone else wonder what that means? It's like it's hick language for "tick fall," which wouldn't be too far from the truth around here! Tomorrow I will write about our exciting trail adventure we had at Tickfaw Saturday. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment