Friday, July 13, 2007

You Might Be a Redneck if...




You might be a Redneck if you fight over who gets to take home the alligator that you and your coworkers find at your workplace! On the other hand, you might be a redneck, too, if you take a picture of the alligator found at your workplace. Hmmm...

Travis and the kids and I got a big kick out of this story. Travis told us that "they" found an alligator at ADM yesterday in one of the grain elevator basements. When the word alligator is spoken, my kids are interested, and I'm curious, too, considering I've only seen one from afar and heard stories.

Travis told us that one of his grain elevator assistant supervisors, Luke, heard a big commotion coming from the basement of the facility his hourly employees were working in. Luke immediately ran downstairs to make sure everything was okay.

Luke found several employees who had managed to capture an alligator. One of the guys had managed to "wrestle" it and hold it. The men, 4-foot alligator still in tow, were arguing about who would get to take it home and eat it. No joke. They were having a VERY spirited conversation on whose alligator it was.

Luke is from Indiana, so I'm sure he was just as surprised and curious as Travis about this alligator capture. Luke called Travis up to come take a picture and to make sure his employees handled the alligator "safely." :) Luke, in his wisdom, told the men they would have to return the alligator to the river so the arguing had to stop.

Travis snapped the pictures you see here. Isn't Keith a proud alligator wrestler? Keith is a BRAVE alligator wrestler!

This is another example of how we live in starkly different culture now. These guys aren't Rednecks. They just value alligator meat for some reason we Midwesterners don't understand. :)

A little side note. The kids kept saying, "I want to see the pictures of the alligator," to Travis while he was telling the story at the dinner table. Travis said, okay, I'll go pull them out. Travis was referring to pulling out his laptop and uploading the pictures. Justis started saying, "No, daddy, I'm scared!" and started backing away from Travis's laptop case as Travis started to reach his hand in. He thought, "pull them out," meant pulling the actual alligator out! We assured Justis that Travis didn't have the alligator in his laptop case.

No comments: