Saturday, January 19, 2008

Stories by the fire with Daddy.



















Neither Travis or I ever thought we'd build a tradition around the chiminea we purchased from Holly before she left for Thailand a couple of years ago. The chiminea is now the "center" of the chiminea story time tradition!

We lit the chiminea one brisk spring evening when we lived in Hutchinson, KS. Travis read a story to them by the firelight that night and also sang them some songs while playing his guitar.

Jillian was but a sparkle in God's eye then and Dawson was too little to remember that he enjoyed it, too. Madalynn and Justis begged Travis every evening to light the chiminea and read them a story. Most of the time Travis happily agreed, save for the evenings with high winds (that was the summer of the Hutchinson grass fires and we didn't want the house to burn to the ground!).

The chiminea was used in Hugoton for stories by the fire light, and the chiminea now holds a place on our patio out back here at our Louisiana home.

I took this picture of Travis telling the three oldest a story about a week ago by the fire of the chiminea. They sometimes want me to read a story to them, but the time is primarily a time for Travis to treat the kids. They really enjoy the special time with him and he cherishes the time with the kids just as much. I enjoy watching them listen to Travis and giggle and smile because they're happy to have the unique time with Daddy. I also smile because I love Travis and I enjoy watching him love our children.

No comments: