"I'm glad that dog has a collar on it!" Madalynn said upon spotting a black lab frolicking the ditch through the minivan window on our way home from running errands.
"I'm REALLY glad he has a collar," Justis said in seriousness, "He wouldn't want to go to that place dog catchers take dogs when they catch them."
"I know," said Madalynn sympathetically, "If he gets lost, I'm glad the people who find him will know where his family lives."
(Silence from the back seat for a few brief but heavenly moments)
"Madalynn?" Justis asked. "Do they pound people or dogs at the dog catcher place?They must be the ones who get in trouble. Do they put them under a big thing and drop it on them (making the hand motions and everything)? Which dogs do they do it to?"
Madalynn responded, "Justis, they wouldn't do that!"
"Well, who gets pounded, then?!" Justis asked, in complete and utter frustration for lack of answers.
I caught my breath from the giggles and prepared to impart wisdom to my son.
"Justis, some people call the place where stray dogs are taken a pound. Nobody 'pounds' anyone at the pound. The name pound is short for IMpound, which is just another way of saying to hold something. The dog catchers catch the stray or lost animals and hold them until their owners find them. It's just a safe place for them to be."
"OOOOOOOhhhhhh." The light came on in Justis' mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment