Sunday, February 10, 2008

Lemonade! $4 a cup!


My kids rolled the lemonade stand to the bottom of the driveway and ACTUALLY SOLD LEMONADE yesterday. Again, God knows the desires of our hearts, and the fact that anyone even stopped for lemonade was a miracle.

The odds were certainly against the kids merely giving away their lemonade. We live on an off-the-beaten-path country road. Yesterday was February 10, which is the middle of winter on my calendar! Travis and I were almost hesitant to pull the stand down to the end of the driveway, because we didn't want their hearts to be broken if no one came to taste their lemonade.

God does not disappoint. The kids laughed in delight as passersby stopped for lemonade. Travis discussed with the kids that they should just give it away. Despite telling them the lemonade was free, our neighbors and complete strangers insisted on giving them money. I think they made about $6 in 30 minutes.

Money meant nothing to the kids in the scheme of the afternoon. They were pumped that they got to share their lemonade and use their new lemonade stand.

We got a huge laugh out of Justis. Travis, Justis, Jillian and I were up the driveway working on something, when Travis told Justis someone had stopped at the stand.

Justis scurried down the drive and a driver rolled down his window and said, "How much for a cup of lemonade?"

Justis doesn't have ANY concept of money. He thinks a penny can buy a candy bar. "$4!" Justis said, smiling big.

"Justis!!! It's free!" I yelled from the top of the drive.

"Oh, well, here's a donation, then," The driver chuckled. He then smiled and gave Justis a handful of quarters.

I started walking down the drive to try to let the guy know Justis wasn't trying to rip him off.

Too late. The driver was long gone and Justis came running up to me holding his quarters and shouting, "Look mommy! I got some more eagles!"

I just shook my head. "Yup. You've made out pretty well today, huh?"

The kids decided on their own accord the money they were given was going to God through the church offering.

The kids were thrilled that they were paid smiles for their lemonade. Travis and I got a humbling lesson from the giving hearts of our children. I only hope that driver understood Justis was a bit confused when he told him a cup of lemonade was $4!

No comments: