Friday, July 11, 2008

You can take family out of Kansas, but you can't take the Kansas out of the family!

We just got home from our Kansas vacation!

Tumbleweeds, feedlots, wind farms, wheat harvest, wind, Amish buggies, the Flint Hills, Yucca plants, sweet corn fields, sunflower fields, REAL Mexican food and FAMILY all greeted us back into Kansas!

Our home is Louisiana now, but Kansas cannot be compared with any place God has created, in my opinion. Both states are very special, but Kansas was home to Travis and I for over twenty-seven years. It will always be part of each of us, no matter where we live.

The thing I enjoyed most during the 16-hour drive to Kansas was seeing the farmers harvesting wheat with their combines and trucks lined up at the elevators, bringing in their harvest. I used to "help" my grandpa harvest as a child, when my mom and her two sisters went to Grandma and Grandpa's in Mullinville, KS, to work to bring in Grandpa's harvest. Mom and her sisters drove the wheat trucks from the fields to the elevator and back and occasionally drove the combine. My cousins and I got to ride with our moms/aunts and get in the back of the wheat truck to "swim" in the wheat. I remember kicking off my flip-flops, climbing up the trucks tall tire wells with Grandpa's help, and stepping in to feel the warm wheat kernels trickle between my toes. We literally submersed ourselves in wheat. We had it in our hair, socks, pockets, etc. when we got out, but being filthy was SO worth it!

I'll spend time blogging about our trip over the next week or so.

No comments: