The kids helped me exercise my right to vote today by resisting the temptation to push the big, shining yellow button that said, "Submit Vote," and cramming into the voting booth with me. I should have asked someone to take a picture of the curtains with all of our feet showing through from underneath!
We live in a small precinct, so we had to stay in line fewer than five minutes! The other lines were taking forever. Thank goodness we live in the boonies, I guess!
One older lady (forgetting her voting line etiquette, apparently) directed the question to the kids, "So who are you voting for for President?" Madalynn and Justis had enough sense to remember that you don't give random information out to strangers...so there was silence...but only for a few seconds.
"Oh. I forgot, it's a secret, huh?" the lady said to the kids.
"John McCain." Dawson said matter-of-factly and in his "big boy" voice.
"I heard that!" The lady said with a smile and a wink.
All of the people around us just laughed at little Dawson, 'cause he was just too cute expressing his political opinion.
Another cute story from co-op. So, today we pasted in our "meet the candidates" information to our lap books. The kids had one cutout with Obama/Biden and another cutout with McCain/Palin. Each cutout had pictures, facts and short bios of the candidates. You would think this would be a no-brainer. Just paste them in, right? I had three students resist putting the pictures of Obama/Biden into their lap books, and one student flat out stood his ground and bartered with one of my helpers that he would take the cutout in his folder and then paste it in at home when he was ready. That cutout is probably in the garbage by now! I just sat back and smiled at the independence of these young people. What if they could vote? Wow!
I'm watching the glut of "numbers" coming in from the elections. I am interested to see how things play out.
2 comments:
How funny about Dawson! I had to give my kids "the speech" about what not to say when we go into vote. Hope Travis got a chance to vote!
Jae,
I found your blog through Julie's blog (surrendered & surrounded). I am a friend of hers from college... I immediately loved your blog - I am also homeschooling (in Virginia) and my family lives in New Orleans & area! I wanted to "introduce" myself before I commented on your blog... but couldn't find an email contact, so I'm doing it this way. :)
~Missie
Post a Comment