Wednesday, August 5, 2009
The Flyin' W Ranch
This blog is dedicated to my little romantic cowboy, Dawson. He dreams of the Old West, even though it is long gone. He “knows” the Old West mostly from old cowboy songs and Chris LeDoux and from his favorite western book, Cowboy Charlie.
Dawson, you were all dressed up in your western shirt (complete with cowboy-snap front), your wranglers and cowboy boots when you told me you didn’t think “real cowboys” can sing. You couldn’t stop smiling once you heard the first note. I love hearing the Flyin’ W Wranglers sing year after year, but this year, I had more fun watching you smile more than everything else about our trip there.
Spending a night eating a chuck wagon-style supper and listening to the magical music of the Flying W Wranglers at the Flying W Ranch in Colorado Springs is an activity I look forward to each time I visit the cabin. If I had money to spend on only one activity outside of the cabin each time I visit Colorado, I would choose the Flying W Ranch!
We browsed the fun cowboy and ranch-themed shops, watched a 43-year-old Indian woman do an amazing ring dance, and checked out some western history before eating the HUGE chuck wagon dinner this year. The Ranch serves barbecued beef or chicken, beans, biscuits, applesauce, spice cake a baked potato and coffee or lemonade, all of which is homemade! Yum.
The old-school western music presented by the Flying W Wranglers after supper is what makes the Flyin’ W so special, though. I’ve been going to the Flying W since I was a child, and I recognized the some of the same guys performing year after year. This year, though, there was some new blood, and I only recognized one of the Wranglers. Then again we hadn't been to Colorado since moving to Louisiana. The music was just as great, though. The new fiddle player can FIDDLE!
I can’t help but smile, sing and tap my foot along to the great music. I can't wait to visit again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment