Sunday, August 2, 2009

Happy 30th Birthday, Baby!


Travis spent his 30th birthday, ironically, preparing for what his heart has desired since we moved to Louisiana...the move back to Kansas!

We literally spent ALL DAY working on getting the house ready for the listing pictures our realtor came and took tonight to post on the Stirling Properties realty website. Seriously. We were down to the wire (which is nothing new for us), so we worked HARD from sun-up to around 6:30 p.m., when the realtor came and took pictures!

How do I know Travis had a good birthday, despite the fact that he didn't even get a piece of his favorite "hairy cake?" I know because, after the realtor left and we were all pretty much speechless and trying to de-stress, Travis had this crazy smile on his face. I was thinking, "What in the world is wrong with my husband? We worked all day, he fielded "happy birthday" phone calls while continuing to work while he talked with his friends and family, and he merely got verbal birthday wishes and homemade cards from all of us this morning. How can he be smiling?"

I couldn't help but ask why in the world he was smiling under such stress.

"Don't get me wrong, he said. This moving stuff is a pain. I am just so glad we get to go back to Kansas, though. It's all worth it."

Perseverance and persistence are only two of the things that make Travis wonderful. I can go on and on about my children and how special they are and how they bring joy to me, but it's no wonder they're so special. Look at their daddy! His humor, diligence, joy, youth and smarts are all evident in the personalities of his own children. My favorite part about Travis, (beyond the fact that he is a blast and is so stinkin' sexy...again, I can say that 'cause I'm his wife) is the fact that he wears his heart on his sleeve and calls it like he sees it. He's genuine. I live with Travis, so I can testify that he genuinely cares about each of you reading this blog. He loyally prays for his friends, family and even his enemies to be blessed! He wonders how people are doing and when he says he's going to do something, he does whatever he can do to sincerely see his commitment through.

I thank God he gave Travis what I couldn't for his birthday...his ticket back to Kansas via a promotion! Now, what I CAN give him is steak, mashed potatoes and gravy and HAIRY CAKE. Travis will be getting his proper birthday party tomorrow!

Madalynn gave Travis a compliment tonight that I thought would be a good note to end this blog on.

Travis was telling me how his college roommate and good friend Aaron called to wish him happy birthday and remind Travis he's looking a little old and decrepit in the recent pictures he's seen of him. I was laughing and Madalynn asked, "What does that, 'decrepit,' mean, anyway?" Travis explained it meant worn out, etc.

"What?!" Madalynn said. "Well, Dad. I think you actually look YOUNGER than you actually are." Travis just smiled a huge smile.

I guess Travis's 30th birthday is a reminder to me that "big" days don't always have to come and go with a lot of fanfare to be special. Travis was able to look past the stress of preparing our house to be on the market and being called old (hehe) to find joy in his 30th birthday. To 30+++++ more years of joy, Travis. We love you. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

1 comment:

JulieAnn said...

Happy Birthday to Travis! It sounds like his birthday turned out all right. I'm so happy for you guys to get to move back to Kansas....another adventure for your family!

Love you guys!